We developers are all a little bit lazy, time conscious, we don’t like to perform the same installation/upgrade over and over on 30+ remote machines.
It is Friday, and even though I added this link to my bookmarks already, I know it will take me a few minutes to find on Monday… yes, my bookmarks are that messy.
I need to create a cmd install batch that will
- Upgrade the local MSDE instance to SQL Express 2005
- Use Advance features during the installation as I’m not creating a new instance but upgrading the default one.
- Add the replication components that will be needed for the merge replication
- Add the client components in case I need to connect remotely to that rebel local instance :-p
- Add the Connectivity components that will install the SMO and RMO (Server Management Objects and Replication Management Objects). I’m using both namespaces to trigger/manage replication from this .NET smartie client.
My cheat sheet is here:
It doesn’t seem too complicated, let’s wait for Monday to see how it goes. Now I’m still working on my RMO code. We had Replication pretty much working with the a Replication ActiveX component for MSDE but this component is deprecated for 2005.
Have a nice weekend!